REFLECTIONS Art Contest Theme 2016, “What’s Your Story?”
Please encourage your child to think about and create a Reflections art submission. The theme this year is “What’s Your Story?”. Please assist them in submitting it to the Reflections art competition.
Please mat or mount art onto sturdy cardboard. Students should not sign the front of their art. Size limits, Visual Arts, 24”x 30”: photography, 11”x 14” both including mats.
Submission forms can be found in the Reflections folder in the front office, at PTAReflections.org, or linked below (coming soon!). Please attach completed forms to back of art and place your art projects into the Reflections box in the front office by Thurs. Oct 20, 2016 deadline. Please note that this date is before Fall Break.
Thank you for participating and nurturing your child’s creativity!
Please contact parent volunteer Jennifer Hewitson at email@example.com for questions.
Our Morning Wellness program begins next week!
Each day before school, from 7:30am to 7:55am, cards will be stamped for participating students by wellness program volunteers:
1 stamp per lap around the track
3 stamps for walking/biking to school (collect tickets in front of school)
6 stamps for yoga (Tuesday and Thursday in the MPR)
Please see flyer for more details: Morning Wellness 2016-2017
If you are able to volunteer 1 morning a week to help stamp students’ cards, please contact Yajaira Alvarez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
After school enrichment classes offered by Sage Garden Project begin next week!
Starting September 12th: Junior Master Gardener Mondays 2:20 – 3:30 • Sept 12 – Nov 14 • Grades 4, 5, 6.
Starting September 8th: Cena Con Mamá – New Time and Day • Thursdays • 2:30 – 4:30 • Sept 8 – Nov 17
Starting September 9th: Foodie Fridays 12:40-2:00 • Sept 9 – Nov 18 • Grades 3 and up.
Sign up soon to reserve your child’s spot. These classes fill up quickly! Please see flyer for more details: Sage Garden Project August 2016
All Sage Garden Project after-school programs are required to have a parent helper. Please sign up here if you would like to participate in the Nutrition Lab.
Junior Master Gardener
Traffic during school drop-off and pick-up times is one of the top concerns from parents. We are listening to you!
Thanks to our Traffic and Safety Committee, PTA President Rimga Viskanta, and Principal Jennifer Bond, we have some new rules to help keep your mornings and afternoons stress-free when dropping off and picking up your children. We believe that if we all work together and follow these guidelines, the traffic and congestion should improve! Remember, we are all in this together, so let’s practice patience, awareness and safety as we navigate the parking lots.
Please contact Steve Gerken, Traffic and Safety Committee Chair, if you have any questions or suggestions: email@example.com.
Traffic and Safety
Ocean Knoll has two parking lots for student drop-off and pick-up. The front parking lot is the one directly in front of the flag pole and front office. The back parking lot is adjacent to the Ocean Knoll Farm off of Bonita Drive. See Ocean Knoll parking and traffic flow maps below.
- If you drive East on Melba to get to Ocean Knoll turn left on Bonita and use the back parking lot. Left turns from Melba into the front parking lot will no longer be permitted between 7:40 and 8:00 AM and 2:00 and 2:45 PM.
- If you drive West on Melba to get to Ocean Knoll please use the front parking lot for drop-off and pick-up. But you may also use the back parking lot if you choose.
- The front parking lot will close to parking from 7:40 and 8:00 AM and 2:00 and 2:45 PM. This is because during those times the front parking lot will be a loading and unloading zone only. Drivers should not exit their cars.
- Students should be ready to exit the car before you enter the drop-off zone. Drivers remain in your car. Safety personnel can help with unloading.
- Students should exit from the passenger side only of your vehicle and step directly down to the curb.
- Double parking and parking in red zones are prohibited.
- Do not drop off or pick up your children in the street. Obey all traffic laws.
- Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
- Use of cell phones is not allowed.
- Campus supervision ends at 2:35pm Monday through Thursday and at 1:00pm on Fridays.
- Remember: Staff on duty are not available for conferences or answering questions. They are responsible for student safety. Please refrain from having conversations with students and staff on duty.
Additional Parking Options:
- Due to generous permission from Bethlehem Lutheran Community Center at Melba and Balour, you may park in their lot and then walk the remainder of the distance which isabout ¼ of a mile to campus.
- If you are coming from the West, you might also consider parking along Requeza and then walking the back trail and road to enter the campus through the Ocean Knoll Farm.
- Leave early! When you drop of your child by 7:40 or 7:45, there is very little congestion. Look for information about our volunteer-run Walking School Bus.
- While on campus, stay on the sidewalk and walk your bike. Bikes are not permitted in the parking lot.
- COMING SOMETIME IN FALL 2016….Ocean Knoll will have three bike parking locations: 1. Near the back lot and farm; 2. Near the MPR when entering the gate from Melba; and 3. In front of the school (already existing).
- Follow all traffic laws for biking and pedestrians (i.e. wear bike helmets, use cross walks, etc.)
- If you do not walk with your child, groups of students should walk together. Use designated crosswalks. Do not walk through the parking lots.
- Teach your child safety rules: how to cross the street, not to talk to strangers, walking with friends, etc.
Kindergarten is hand-to- hand dismissal. All Kindergarten students are to be dropped off and picked up directly to and from their classrooms by a parent or other designated individual.
Designated individuals may be grandparents, siblings, carpool parents, etc. However, please inform the teacher if the designated individual is not a parent. For Kindergarten drop-offs and pick-ups, park in a legal parking place and walk the student to and from their classrooms. Parking is allowed in the back lot and in areas marked on the maps in grey. Park and walk is available at Bethlehem Lutheran community center located at Balour and Melba. This is a very doable distance (1/4 mile) for most kindergarteners and very fun to do with their parents.
SAVE THE DATE!
2016-17 BACK-TO- SCHOOL PICNIC!
Saturday, August 20 from 5:00-7:00 PM at Encinitas Community Park
We’re trying a new venue this year due to the construction at Ocean Knoll. Make sure to put this date on your calendar for the Saturday before school starts!
Come connect with friends (old and new!) at Ocean Knoll’s annual Back-to- School Picnic! Bring a blanket or beach chair, a picnic and drinks for your family. We’ll have some fun games and the park has activities for the entire family!
Enjoy your summer!