Traffic during school drop-off and pick-up times is one of the top concerns from parents. We are listening to you!
Thanks to our Traffic and Safety Committee, PTA President Rimga Viskanta, and Principal Jennifer Bond, we have some new rules to help keep your mornings and afternoons stress-free when dropping off and picking up your children. We believe that if we all work together and follow these guidelines, the traffic and congestion should improve! Remember, we are all in this together, so let’s practice patience, awareness and safety as we navigate the parking lots.
Please contact Steve Gerken, Traffic and Safety Committee Chair, if you have any questions or suggestions: email@example.com.
Traffic and Safety
Ocean Knoll has two parking lots for student drop-off and pick-up. The front parking lot is the one directly in front of the flag pole and front office. The back parking lot is adjacent to the Ocean Knoll Farm off of Bonita Drive. See Ocean Knoll parking and traffic flow maps below.
- If you drive East on Melba to get to Ocean Knoll turn left on Bonita and use the back parking lot. Left turns from Melba into the front parking lot will no longer be permitted between 7:40 and 8:00 AM and 2:00 and 2:45 PM.
- If you drive West on Melba to get to Ocean Knoll please use the front parking lot for drop-off and pick-up. But you may also use the back parking lot if you choose.
- The front parking lot will close to parking from 7:40 and 8:00 AM and 2:00 and 2:45 PM. This is because during those times the front parking lot will be a loading and unloading zone only. Drivers should not exit their cars.
- Students should be ready to exit the car before you enter the drop-off zone. Drivers remain in your car. Safety personnel can help with unloading.
- Students should exit from the passenger side only of your vehicle and step directly down to the curb.
- Double parking and parking in red zones are prohibited.
- Do not drop off or pick up your children in the street. Obey all traffic laws.
- Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
- Use of cell phones is not allowed.
- Campus supervision ends at 2:35pm Monday through Thursday and at 1:00pm on Fridays.
- Remember: Staff on duty are not available for conferences or answering questions. They are responsible for student safety. Please refrain from having conversations with students and staff on duty.
Additional Parking Options:
- Due to generous permission from Bethlehem Lutheran Community Center at Melba and Balour, you may park in their lot and then walk the remainder of the distance which isabout ¼ of a mile to campus.
- If you are coming from the West, you might also consider parking along Requeza and then walking the back trail and road to enter the campus through the Ocean Knoll Farm.
- Leave early! When you drop of your child by 7:40 or 7:45, there is very little congestion. Look for information about our volunteer-run Walking School Bus.
- While on campus, stay on the sidewalk and walk your bike. Bikes are not permitted in the parking lot.
- COMING SOMETIME IN FALL 2016….Ocean Knoll will have three bike parking locations: 1. Near the back lot and farm; 2. Near the MPR when entering the gate from Melba; and 3. In front of the school (already existing).
- Follow all traffic laws for biking and pedestrians (i.e. wear bike helmets, use cross walks, etc.)
- If you do not walk with your child, groups of students should walk together. Use designated crosswalks. Do not walk through the parking lots.
- Teach your child safety rules: how to cross the street, not to talk to strangers, walking with friends, etc.
Kindergarten is hand-to- hand dismissal. All Kindergarten students are to be dropped off and picked up directly to and from their classrooms by a parent or other designated individual.
Designated individuals may be grandparents, siblings, carpool parents, etc. However, please inform the teacher if the designated individual is not a parent. For Kindergarten drop-offs and pick-ups, park in a legal parking place and walk the student to and from their classrooms. Parking is allowed in the back lot and in areas marked on the maps in grey. Park and walk is available at Bethlehem Lutheran community center located at Balour and Melba. This is a very doable distance (1/4 mile) for most kindergarteners and very fun to do with their parents.